Friday, October 08, 2004

It's about getting it right, not about being right

I believe there is an objective reality. Consequently, there is a correct assessment/interpretation of the universe(s); some views will be more correct than others. The notion that all views are equal is refuted by imaging a person who thinks they can have unassisted flight. This person will be shown to be wrong when they encounter the ground in an abrupt manner. As well, imagine someone who thinks that all views are not equal. This view is a direct contradiction to the view that all views are equal. Therefore, the notion of 'equality of viewpoint' is inconsistent and paradoxical. Paradox is not necessarily invalidating, but it seems to be so in this case.

When I engage in debate, I am comparing as much as I can remember about my current view to that of another. I am sincerely trying to get at as much Truth as I can. It is not about being right or wrong, it is about discovery, understanding and Truth. I try to remember that it is not about me, but if I seem to lose my way please remind me of this post. Thanks.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmn. Agreed 100% - Booey on egotized rhetoric!

R a . ch ael.

8:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home