Friday, October 08, 2004

The Last Samurai

I just watched the film "The Last Samurai" for the second time. What a wonderful movie. There were two dialogues that were worth mentioning. Both tap into my perspectives on the world. The former regarding the nature of free will and subjective uncertainty, the latter regarding my attempt to appreciating all things.


KATSUMOTO: You believe a man can change his destiny?
ALGREN: I think a man does what he can, until his destiny is revealed.



KATSUMOTO: You have nightmares.
ALGREN: Every soldier has nightmares.
KATSUMOTO: Only one who is ashamed of what he has done.
ALGREN: You have no idea what I have done.
KATSUMOTO: You have seen many things.
ALGREN: I have
KATSUMOTO: And you do not fear death, but sometimes you wish for it. Is this not so?
ALGREN: Yes.
KATSUMOTO: I, also. It happens to men who have seen what we have seen. And then, I come to this place of my ancestors… and I remember. Like these blossoms… we are all dying. To know life in every breath… every cup of tea… every life we take. The way of the warrior.
ALGREN: Life in every breath.
KATSUMOTO: That is Bushido.
ALGREN: Hai

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home