Thursday, October 21, 2004

Why I like Matthew Good

Today, this is what Matt Good's blog had to say:
"At what point did the lives of strangers become so unimportant that their loss no longer registers? At what point did we trade in our humanity for cable, for faster food, for never ending isles of fluorescent-lit nothingness? At what point did freedom become arrogant and arrogance necessity?

I would like to think that there is more to us. I will spend the rest of my life fighting to make sure that there is. You can join me by clicking here."

Those are exactly the thoughts I've been having lately. There are millions and millions of people in need around the world. A lot of their pain is not from 'natural' problems, but because developed countries are actually causing the problems.

People are starving and I can't decide what watch.

The more I learn about the world, the more I feel that for me to win (cheap clothes, food, oil, electronics) someone else loses.
The argument could be made that the people working in sweatshops are happy relative to their Socio-Economic-Status (SES), but this is flawed. They are called sweatshops for a reason, and it isn't because of the jazzercise class at lunch.

Many of the goods consumed in the developed world are made by those forced by desperation into to an unreasonable amount of labour or for an unreasonable amount of pay.
If you do not think others being caused this much stress so you can have more junk you don't need is not a problem, I think you need a more salient experience, like meeting someone and having then tell you about how hard their life is (even relative to their SES).
If you still don't care, I'm
a) angered and saddened, but I can somewhat understand and will do what I can to show you why I think you act/feel in error
OR
b) Feel you are part of the problem and your non-existence might help the situation.
The former is the best path for my goals, but I mention the latter out of honestly. (Dang human emotions)

Just try to think about the effects of your actions and non-actions. (As well as what you choose to support regarding brands, foods and entertainment)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home