Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Suicidal Terrorism

I had the impression that most suicide bombings were by religious fanatics, and Islamic ones at that. I realized I might be wrong as I was reading an article in the Toronto Star about Robert A. Pape and his book Dying to Win: The Strategic Logic of Suicide Terrorism.

"In his book, Pape examined 315 suicide bombings that occurred from 1980 through 2003. Only 43 per cent came from religiously affiliated groups, he found, while the rest were carried out by secular groups. And 70 per cent of the suicide attackers, whether motivated by religion or not, were Christian."

This is quite interesting. Of course, it would be better to have all the details (name, affiliation, location, date... etc) of the bombings, but this information definitely makes me think twice about misattribution of such acts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home