Thursday, December 11, 2008

Post-American World by Fareed Zakaria

I enjoyed this book. It provided a nice overview of the current and future geopolitical scene surrounding the rise of China and India and the relative decline of American power. Zakaria provides interesting information throughout (China’s consumption stats and India’s bureaucracy), but nothing too extraordinary. Where his coverage differs from others is in his more sophisticated analysis of the educational systems of the US, China and India, and how the US has a superior one that will enable it to remain productive/innovative for decades. I also appreciated his analysis of China trying to manage its rise as peaceful and that they do not appear to seek an expansive foreign policy.

It will be interesting to see how things turn out in the coming decades.
(As I listened to the audio book, I should also mention that I liked the sound of his voice - which could have had an influence on my judgment)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home