Monday, October 25, 2010

The Inimitable Jeeves by P. G. Wodehouse

This delightful and amusing semi-novel is a collection of 11 related short stories about the life of English gentlemen Bertie Wooster and his valet Reginald Jeeves. The stories entail Mr. Wooster’s adventures in the city, enduring life’s perceived hardships (especially his Aunt), gambling, his friend Bingo who always falls in love, and, almost inevitable, Jeeves assisting Wooster to get through it alright. I experienced the word audibly, with J. Cecil doing a bang up job with all the voices and narration. It might have made all the difference as I can still hear lovely English expressions rattling around in my brain that still bring a smile to my face (“Good egg; biffed off; rummy; stick it… etc).
The droll sense of English humour shines in these stories and one cannot help but appreciate the way in which things fall apart if only to come together (but often still in pieces).
I had heard good things about Wodehouse for awhile but this was my first. After finishing it, I can definitely say that it will not be my last.
I highly recommend you give a listen (or read).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home