Monday, November 01, 2010

Carry On, Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse

An amusing and worthwhile collection of Jeeves stories but not nearly as good as The Inimitable Jeeves which I finished just a week ago. As I experienced both books in audio form, I think the primary factor for Carry On being less enjoyable was that the reader was different and not as good. Carry On, Jeeves was read by Martin Jarvis while Inimitable was read by Jonathan Cecil. Jarvis does a good job in his own right, but Cecil is more diverse, elaborate, and, perhaps most of all, I became accustomed to his presentation of the characters. When I first started the book I kept thinking “But He doesn’t sound like that!” A fiction of course, but such is how the audiobook crumbles. Consequently, my enthusiasm for Wodehouse has slightly waned, but I think the test will be to see if I enjoy another Wodehouse read by Cecil.
Although following a similar pattern, the stories were still a welcome experience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home