Thursday, December 30, 2010

LOGICOMIX by Doxiadis et al.

LOGICOMIX is an entertaining and compelling graphic novel (of historical fiction) that explores Bertrand Russell's quest for certainty and mathematical truth. I found it stimulating, amusing and hard to put down. The subject matter is fascinating (Is there Truth? Can Math be a foundation for it?) and it was nice to see the usual suspects: Whitehead, Hilbert, Poincaré, Wittgenstein and Gödel. Initially I didn't like a meta-perspective about the creation of the book, but I came to see it as a useful device to discuss the angle that was being taken.

In summation, I liked this so much and the format was so accessible, that I wish it just kept going, that I could keep reading about truth, limitations on knowledge, logic, reason and human relations and the work was far longer than several hundred pages.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home