Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Getting Even by Woody Allen

Hilarious and brilliant. It is one of the funniest books I've finished in quite some time.* Getting Even is one of three early collections of Woody Allen's short humorous articles, 17 in total, which appeared in various magazines decades ago. Some of the material may seem dated, but I did not find that to be the case.

Allen excels at "smart-funny." Sometimes I'd laugh out loud but more often I would think to myself "that's so funny" after some wry and wise remark or line. Granted, his dialogues and observations involving philosophy or various intellectual arcana may not appeal to all, but it was fantastic for me.

Faves were the philosophical stuff, Hitler's Barber, the chess game by post and the Rabbi. I certainly have a new-found respect for Allen's comedic prowess.

Highly recommended.
*Get the audio with his narration if you can find it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home